Hagerstown, Md. (August 30, 2017) – With an abundance of rich agricultural lands filled with products and commodities that support our community, state and nation, the Washington County Department of Business Development is pleased to open nominations for the 2017-18 Washington County Farm of the Year.
Designed to recognize and honor the rich agricultural heritage embedded in Washington County, the Farm of the Year Award application is open to all farms located primarily in the County on five or more acres of land. Applications must be submitted by September 22, 2017.
To qualify, entrants must:
- Operate a farm or agricultural business or know a farm or agricultural business primarily located in Washington County, Maryland.
- Include the principal farm operator/owner and have been in business for a minimum of five years. Farm must be on at least five acres of agriculturally zoned land.
- Complete an application by September 22, 2017.
- Be available for judging September 25 – 29, 2017.
- Attend an awards ceremony in October 2017 to be recognized by the Washington County Board of County Commissioners. Date to be determined.
Judging will occur September 25-29. Criteria categories total 350 points and include:
|Proficiency in agriculture production||25
|Farm visit||25||Dedication to agriculture||50
|Planning for the next generation||25||Application submission||25|
|Innovation||25||Judges discretion points||25|
The DBD Agricultural Business Development office will recognize one outstanding farm and farm family that exemplifies the heritage of farming in Washington County in October 2017, at the Agricultural Education Center.
This award, in part, showcases excellence in agriculture and promotes a greater understanding of the challenges faced by today’s farmers. For more information or to obtain an application, please visit http://hagerstownedc.org/agbusinessdevelopment or contact Leslie Hart, Agricultural Business Development Specialist at:
Washington County Department of Business Development
100 W. Washington Street, Suite 1401
Hagerstown, MD 21740